bounces to root

Raphael Langerhorst Raphael.Langerhorst at kdemail.net
Mon Dec 12 11:22:52 CET 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 08:00, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 07:52, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an issue with "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" bounces to
> > root at kolab.my.domain which have an empty sender field. These happen
> > repeatedly (every 2-5 minutes) after a mail has been sent - sending works
> > actually, the mail is received at the other end.
> >
> > The setup currently looks like the following:
> > kolab is configured to send mail to the internet, but the MX record of
> > the domain is still set to a different machine - so this might be an
> > issue for "delivery reports" of the mail system in general(??).
> >
> > Attached is the log. Do you know where these "bounces" come from? Any
> > solution?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
>
> ... here is some more info:
> we are using Kolab2 2.0.1 (with first security update) on FreeBSD 5.4/i386
>
> Regards,
> Raphael

Problem solved.

The Problem:
FreeBSD by default sends out report emails for daily/weekly/... cron job
results. These emails are, according to /etc/aliases sent to the user "root".
Since Kolab2 is running an SMTP server on port 25, this SMTP server is used.
And because Kolab2 (this one here at least) has configured a smart/relayhost
the email ends up being sent to that smart/relayhost because kolab2 does not
detect the domain to be its own - since the host name itself (kolab) is as
well included.

The solution:
rather simple, just edit /etc/aliases and set a reasonable alias for the root
user (first alias, commented out by default). After that, you have to
run /usr/bin/newaliases  (NOT /kolab/sbin/newaliases)

It might take a couple of minutes (or even half an hour) until all changes
have taken effect (for example if leftover mails with a wrong header are
still around).

Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at/blog