[Solved] Kolab 2 installation on Fedora 4

Alessandro Fiorino alessandro.fiorino at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 23:52:35 CEST 2005

I've managed to install and start Kolab 2.0 on Fedora 4.
The key is the GCC compiler: openpkg 2.2 and 2.4 doesn't compile
correctly with GCC 4.0 which is shipped with Fedora 4 (and other
recent distributions).
Fortunately the GCC version used under Fedora 3 (3.2.3) is avaiable
also for Fedora 4 for compatibility: the needed packages are
compat-gcc-32-c++-3.2.3-47.fc4
compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.fc4
compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-47.fc4
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4

Some other tricks are needed: first of all the default compiler have
to be changed, so

cd /usr/bin
mv gcc gcc40
mv g++ g++40
mv gcov gcov40
ln -s gcc32 gcc
ln -s g++32 g++
ln -s gcov32 gcov

After that there is still a problem with the libc.so file, so the file
/usr/lib/libc.so
have to be edited changing from

/* GNU ld script
   Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
   the static library, so try that secondarily.  */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-i386)
GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a  AS_NEEDED (
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ) )

/* GNU ld script
   Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
   the static library, so try that secondarily.  */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-i386)
/* GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a  AS_NEEDED (
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ) ) */
GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a )

Now the installation should go flawlessy, after that the modifications
have to be reverted.
IMHO this "hack" should not introduce problems, because one of the
first thing the openpkg installation process does is to build a custom
gcc 3.4.2 for its own use.

If I receive other installation successes, I will add a note to the Wiki.

Regards,
  Alessandro Fiorino