Using Active Directory only to authenticate

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Tue Aug 16 09:45:05 CEST 2005

Sascha Strasser <sast0004 at student-zw.fh-kl.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i use OpenLDAP for authentication and storing contacts. Just basic
> installation, but i want to use an existing W2k3 Server AD with the User
> Accounts on them for authenticate users for kolab.
>
> Is this possible with a kolab server. How must this configurate it? Or
> must there make some changes in the source code?

If you do have thorough knowledge of LDAP, Active Directory and
OpenLDAP, you may configure the ldap proxy back-ldap with proxy-cache
and rewrite engine to rewrite and transport your authentication
requests to AD and vice versa.
As OpenLDAP-2.3 (which is not supplied by Kolab yet) offers advanced
binding and proxy-authentication features with back-ldap, I would vote
for a three server design
kolab --> back-ldap --> AD
The mailinglist archive of ldap-interop
http://lists.fini.net/mailman/listinfo/ldap-interop
and the list
ldap at umich.edu
are sources for ldap related support, while the openldap archive is
only dedicated to openldap related issues.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de