Again: DB ERROR: critical database situation

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Fri Aug 12 13:31:31 CEST 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 11:52, steven truppe wrote:

> yesterday i restored the mailboxes.db my hand (like Henning Holtschneider
> told me) and all went fine
> for some hours. Now i have near the same thing again. My users can get
> their mails, but they can not send any. I think the only solution is to
> reinstall kolab and recreate all users (only 8).

No. If the Cyrus databases break, the RAM on your server is faulty. It could
be the filesystem, too. But unless you have very little RAM on the machine (<
256 MB), regarding the small number of users, this is very unlikely.

I was told by the Cyrus developers that database problems are being caused by
server memory errors. At first, I didn't want to believe them. I had the
problem on three totally different servers. It turned out that one server had
bad RAM (I had to run memtest86 for several days to reproduce the error), the
other had a blown capacitor on the memory voltage regulator. I haven't been
able to reproduce the problem on the third machine. After fixing the hardware
problems, the DBERRORs are gone!

Regards,
Henning Holtschneider
--