is disconnected imap mandatory?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Aug 12 11:45:47 CEST 2005

Am Freitag 12 August 2005 10:52 schrieb Richard Bos:

Hi,

> That is trivial for us, but for an ordinary email user that is not
> trivial at all.  Would it be possible to determine on folder basis
> to have dimap or just imap?  Or would that be almost impossible to setup
> and develop?

This would be very difficult to implement with the current code base.

Actually improving the dIMAP kioslave is the way to go.

Technically the dIMAP kioslave is nothing more than a smart caching online
IMAP client. I can imagine that it is feasable to define a perf folder
property on what actually shall be locally cached (e.g. only headers) on a
per folder basis.

Technically there is simply no single reason why dIMAP must be slower than
online IMAP. Actually all online IMAP implementations I am aware of use local
caching techniques in order to gain a speedup...

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/