is disconnected imap mandatory?

Timo Springmann t.springmann at linet-services.de
Thu Aug 11 21:46:59 CEST 2005

On Donnerstag August 11 2005 17:01, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 11 August 2005 16:22 schrieb Andreas Hasenack:
> > Can somebody explain the reasoning
> > behind this?
>
> dIMAP is very efficient and provides offline capabilities.

Actually it's dead slow compared to online imap and eats my cpu cycles like
nothing else. Everytime kontact checks for mail in my dimap account, my
computer (AMD 1700+; 786 MB Ram) gets really slow. I can observe this on at
least 5 different machines. Also it's not as save as online imap. I know at
least one coworker who lost mails two or three times (Bug #104956?), although
this never happend to me.

The offline capabilities is the only advantage I can think of (besides that
the groupware stuff is working...).

> IMHO at some point in the future dIMAP and online imap kioslaves should be
> merged.

Disconnected imap shouldn't slow down the computer before online imap get
superfluous. Dimap is nearly unusable in a LAN environment where you want you
client to check for mail every 5 minutes. I heard it's better on (slow)
dialup connections (never tried).

Regards,
Timo