Strange postfix log ?

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Thu Aug 11 18:34:49 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 17:33, Truppe Steven wrote:
>  The problem is going bigger ! All users are able to read their emails, but
> when i restart imapd i get this error messages (maybe it was no good idea
> to remove the db/ directory?).

You must not remove the directories, only the *files* *inside* the
directories!

> i only restored the mailboxes.db but why
> does he need these folders and annotation.db ? can't annotation.db and the
> other .db file be restored from the spool directory ?

They can only be restored if you have a working backup copy of the database
files. I'm not talking about the backup in db.backup1 and db.backup2, because
they are usually broken as well by the time that you notice the problem.

The Cyrus database files have to be backed up regularly because there is no
way to recover from broken database files. The basic structure of the
mailboxes.db can be restored from the filesystem mailbox structure, but then
you might lose permissions that were set previously.

In a simple installation, the folder annotations stored in the annotations.db
can also be re-created manually using "common sense" (i.e. assume that all
folders called "Calendar" contain event items).

You don't have to restore tls_sessions.db. If the deliver.db breaks, all you
*might* get is duplicate messages being delivered to the users' mailboxes.

After all, you only have to worry about mailboxes.db and annotations.db.

> ctl_cyrusdb[24658]: DBERROR /kolab/var/imapd/db/__db.001: Permission denied:
> %s: %s
> ctl_cyrusdb[24658]: DBERROR: dbenv->open '/kolab/var/imapd/db' failed:
> Permission denied

Looks like the directory does not exist or the owner is not kolab-r.

Regards,
Henning Holtschneider
--
LocaNet oHG - http://www.loca.net