Free/Busy with OL03 and toltec 2.0

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Thu Aug 11 18:06:54 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 17:22, Joon Radley wrote:

> The free busy is done by Outlook itself. The root certificate is not
> installed and when the OL code fails to validate the server certificate it
> fails silently.

That's correct. But from my experience, a valid certificate chain does not
necessarily result in Outlook downloading free/busy data over HTTPS
correctly. We are using a certificate signed by our own CA and Outlook 2003
still doesn't download the f/b information. The CA certificate is correctly
installed and it works well for the secure POP connection. This may be a bug
in Outlook?!

Actually, I never understood why the default setting on the Kolab server is to
allow only authenticated and encrypted downloads of the free/busy
information. Storing the username and the password URL-encoded in Outlook is
cumbersome if you are using special characters or spaces in the password, and
it is a potential security risk. If someone is *publishing* free/busy
information for the whole organization to see, why does the transfer have to
be encrypted and authenticated?

Enough rant :-)
Henning Holtschneider
--