Groups in Kolab and Horde

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 19 10:37:20 CEST 2005

Hi Timo,
On Friday 15 April 2005 13:05, Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> we are investigating the functionality of Kolab and Horde.

Note that the Horde Kolab2 client is still in development
and experimental.

> One issue is the idea of the groups.

I can give you an insight about the design ideas
of groups in the Kolab groupware solution.

> If you setup an account on Kolab with account type "Group Account",
> who is supposed to use the calendar of the group. Does Kolab know,
> which users are members of that group?

Not initially. The group account is similiar to a regular account,
except that the "calendar" system user can write into the default
calendar initially.

You then can use ACLs and the freebusy incidences-for setting
to define which users are part of the group and how they can use it.
This is done by logging into the group account.

> Or is the idea of a group calendar, that it just holds group events,
> and people are added manually to be allowed see the calendar.

This is more or less the idea.

> Horde does not allow the creation of users, that is fair enough,
> because it is all managed through Kolab. But why does it then allow
> creation of groups. Members can be added by their email address.
> What effect does that have?
> Or is it missing functionality?
> Or should I ask this question on the Kronolith list?

Note that there are also two other types of "groups" in Kolab
in addition to group accounts: (a) personal distribution lists,
(b) global distribution lists.

(b) can be set up with the Kolab webadmin or any other ldap speaking
clients.
(a) will be maintained on the client and saved as special form of contact.

I cannot say what the current state of implementation of Horde
towards (a) is.

Bernhard