Various questions about SMTP and IMAP

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Sep 14 04:30:19 CEST 2004

Le lun 13/09/2004 à 13:11, Mathieu Blondel a écrit :
> I'm running Kolab-server 1 on Mandrake 10 and I have several questions about
>  - Is it possible to prevent a certain class of IP from sending mails through
> smtp (e.g. 192.168.0.0/16) ?

Yes, have a look at /etc/kolab/main.cf.template. The smtpd recipient
restrictions and the mynetworks variable are there to check who can send
mail through your server. By default, it allows your internal network
and localhost to send mail. The setting is @@@postfix-mynetworks@@@
which refers to LDAP (k=kolab, attribute postfix-mynetworks), but you
can simply remove the variable and put in what you like.

>  - Were are emails stored ?
>  - What is the best way to backup them ? How can I do if one day I want to
> transfer my mails to another imap system ? I guess emails are stored in a
> database so I don't know how I could do I wanted to transfer my mails to an
> imap system that uses Maildir files.

Kolab uses cyrus-imap, which already uses Maildir files. The mails
themselves are in /var/spool/imap/user/<username>. If you want to backup
everything, you need the /var/lib/imap directory as well (it stores
indexes, quotas, vacation settings, etc).

>  - Currently, "Trash" and "Sent" folders are subfolders of "INBOX". Is it
> possible to put them on the same level ?

First, the Trash and Sent folders are setup on the e-mail client, not
the server. Kmail creates those folders on the local client filesystem,
while others, like Netscape, will want to create them on the same level
as the inbox on the mail server.

However, under Cyrus, the INBOX is the /home of the user, so everything
is under it. You could always change this behavior with cyradm or
various cyrus patches, but I don't know why you would want to do that.

--
Jean-Michel Dault <jmdault at mandrakesoft.com>