Upgrading a kolab2-snapshot!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 10 11:58:59 CEST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 11:40, Stefan Lang wrote:

> I think migration pathes must exist, because we are all testing kolab2 -
> more or less like - in real existing environments and not only in a
> two-test-user-sceanrio! I think its "boring" i.e. to refeed the
> LDAP-database over and ober again with every "snapshot-upgrade"!
> I'm looking into the future with this question!

We are currently unable to produce automated upgrade migration paths
for full installations. We are still in a development phase where
changes are allowed.
However this is not a problem in most of the cases.

If you do a slapcat you get the ldap database.
This is most important.
You can also keep the mailboxes within Cyrus.
(They should be backuped anyway.)

Most of the time the updates are non-destructive to the mailboxes
and to the ldap. In that case you can just use openpkg rpm to upgrade
the respective rpms and not do anything with the ldap or the mailbox.

If we have ldap changes, you mostly can leave the mailboxes
and before really starting, add the ldap information back to the new
bootstrapped tree. This requires some manual intervention
and it is probably easy to write scripts if you already have a
huge user base.