Question about Kolab XML Format

Gustavo Michels gustavo.michels at ig.com.br
Wed Oct 13 21:39:19 CEST 2004

Hi Martin,

Em Wednesday 13 October 2004 14:49, Martin Konold escreveu:

> Yes indeed OL does not know anything about iCalendar. Only the MAPI
> Transport Provider POP3/SMTP knows something about iCalendar and is able
> to encode/decode iCalendar messages.
>
> Exchange does not know about iCalendar.

Thanks for the clarification.

> You are observing the result of an early try of Kontact to be able to
> read MAPI objects encoded in TNEF. The Kolab client reads the MAPI object
> and then generates iCalendar messages. This conversion only works in one
> direction from TNEF encoded MAPI to iCalendar not in the reverse
> direction.

That's very nice, and seems to be working very well. Do you know who is/was
responsible for this conversion in Kontact?  Maybe he can help in my
efforts.

> Due to the fact that I claim it is impossible to do the reverse mapping
> we came up with the new XML based format which allows for a reverse
> mapping of the iCalendar world (e.g. KOrganizer, Kolab Webclient) and the
> MAPI world (OL and the Toltec connector).

I see, Kolab needed a solution to be able to support several clients, and
the XML format was the answer.

> The old webclient should be able to use the iCalendar format directly. I
> do not know if the current development branch can deal with both formats.

I'll have to take a look into that. Where's this old webclient
implementation?

Anyway, I have one more question: does it matter the kolab packages I used,
the responsible for the storage format is always the client? In better
words, can I use the latest server sources (with the new FB stuff, the
extended ldap schema) and store the data in iCal/vCard format, and still
have the same functionality, apart from being able to support multiple
clients? This way I don't need the kdepim proko2 branch, I can stick with
kdepim HEAD since it uses the iCal/vCard format, right?

Thanks
Gustavo