Question about Kolab XML Format

Gustavo Michels gustavo.michels at ig.com.br
Wed Oct 13 04:53:29 CEST 2004

Hi

First of all sorry if this is the wrong list to post, I was in doubt if I
should ask questions on the development list.

Anyway, on to the subject. I am currently in the middle of a university
project which, in part, should migrate an Exchange server to an opensource
solution. I chose Kolab to be the solution.

I was doing mail & calendar data migration simply by directly copying each
user's mailbox mail and calendar folders from exchange's imap server to
kolab's imap server, by using a perl script called imapsync (available at
freshmeat).

Mail data, of course, is no problem. However, calendar data is. As with the
latest kolab sources  available at ftp.kolab.org I was testing, the storage
format was still the iCal/vCard format, and the process was quite working.
The only glitch I was having was the events on the kolab calendar being
moved 1 hour earlier, but I could see all events I had on the Exchange
server on Kontact (both 3.3.0 and proko2 cvs from 2 days ago, using the
iCal/vCard storage format in the groupware preferences - btw proko2 would
automatically choose the correct storage format - iCal/vCard - after using
kolabwizard).

Now, upgrading to the latest kolab packages using obmtool.conf from cvs, the
new Kolab XML format was enabled, and Kontact no longer understands the
iCal format and silently ignores my existing iCal events, even if I set the
storage format as iCal/vCard.

My question: is there a tool to convert iCal to the XML format Kolab now
uses? Also, converting vCard to the XML format will also be needed, since I
was planning on converting Outlook Contacts to vCards and just upload them
to the imap server.

If there isn't such a tool, I will probably have to create one. Where can I
find information about the Kolab XML format, and most important, do you
think it is fairly easy to create one?

Thanks in advance
Gustavo