Kolab Server Installation problems: Mandrake 10.0 packages (kolab1)

Tobias Weisserth tobias at weisserth.net
Mon Nov 29 14:12:44 CET 2004

Hi everybody,

I have installed the kolab rpm package with its dependancies using urpmi on
Mandrake 10.0 (download edition).

I then ran kolab_bootstrap and started the service. I could connect to the PHP
web admin interface but it didn't work and printed a bunch of error messages
into the page I don't understand.

So I ran the bootstrap again to see again if I missed any errors.

This is the screen output:

Backuping config files in /etc/kolab/backup/20041129-135857
stopping kolab backend ...
Shutting down postfix:                                          [  OK  ]
Shutting down httpd-perl:                                       [  OK  ]
Shutting down httpd2:                                           [  OK  ]
Shutting down cyrus-imapd:                                      [  OK  ]
Stopping saslauthd                                              [  OK  ]
Deleting /var/spool/postfix/var/lib/sasl2/mux
Stopping slapd:                                                 [  OK  ]
Stopping slurpd:                                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down proftpd:                                          [  OK  ]

KOLAB BOOTSTRAP

Please enter Hostname [myhost.domain.tld]:myhost.domain.tld
proceeding with Hostname myhost.domain.tld
Please enter your Maildomain [domain.tld]:domain.tld
proceeding with Maildomain domain.tld
prepare LDAP database...
kill running slapd (if any)
temporarily start slapd
no dc=myhost,dc=domain,dc=tld object found, creating one
failed to write basedn entry : Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 170, <DATA> line 283.
no kolab config object in ldap, generating a reasonable default
mynetworkinterfaces: 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 225, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 233, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 241, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 250, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 259, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 268, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Can't contact LDAP server
at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 276, <DATA> line 283.
LDAP setup finished

Create initial config files for postfix, apache, proftpd, cyrus imap,
saslauthd
 running /usr/sbin/kolab -v -o -lldap://127.0.0.1:389/
Can't call method "attributes" on an undefined value at /usr/sbin/kolab line
353, <DATA> line 283.

kill temporary slapd

generate self-signed certificate for hostname myhost.domain.tld... done
New certificate has been installed under /etc/kolab/
kolab should now be ready to run
please run 'service kolab-server start'

I can then start the service without any problems:

Stopping slapd:                                                 [  OK  ]
Stopping slurpd:                                                [  OK  ]
Starting slapd (ldap):                                          [  OK  ]
Starting slurpd:                                                [  OK  ]
Stopping saslauthd                                              [  OK  ]
Deleting /var/spool/postfix/var/lib/sasl2/mux
Starting saslauthd                                              [  OK  ]
Creating hardlink from /var/lib/sasl2/mux to /var/spool/postfix/var/lib/sasl2/
Shutting down cyrus-imapd:                                      [  OK  ]
Starting cyrus-imapd:                                           [  OK  ]
Shutting down httpd-perl:                                       [  OK  ]
Shutting down httpd2:                                           [  OK  ]
Starting httpd-perl:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd2:                                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down postfix:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting postfix:                                               [  OK  ]
starting kolab backend (please wait)
[root at myhost foo]# Can't call method "attributes" on an undefined value
at /usr/sbin/kolab line 353, <DATA> line 283.

What's wrong?

When I call https://myhost.domain.tld/kolab/admin I get these error messages
in the page:

Warning: main(session_vars.php): failed to open stream: No such file or
directory in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 9

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'session_vars.php' for inclusion
(include_path='.:/usr/lib/php/:/usr/share/pear/')
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 9

Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 90
could not bind anonymously
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output
started at /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php:9)
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 17

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output
started at /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php:9)
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 18

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output
started at /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php:9)
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 19

Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 90
could not bind anonymously
Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 64
could not bind anonymously

Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 90
could not bind anonymously
Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 44
could not bind anonymously
Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 21

Please be gentle since I'm rather new to all this. I'm not at all familiar
with Kolab and all I understand is that kolab somehow is a wrapper for the
individual services. Where do I start from where I am now?

thanks,
Tobias