Kolab update

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 10 16:21:05 CET 2004

Hi Jeffrey,

thanks for your detailed report.
It is reassuring that you have gotten your data recovered without further help
and your description will be benefical for users.

Note that Kolab2 is under development and we can use help.
In this state we cannot recommend running it without having the necessary skills
or a support contract in place and know what you are doing.
(Which obviously is the case with you.)

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 16:08, Jeffrey Walls wrote:
> Last night I finally did the update to current (11/08/2004).  Here are some
> thoughts on the update, for what they are worth to the developers.
>
> My feelings?
>
> 1. No upgrade should EVER put you in a position of loosing your data. EVER.
> 2. The kolab update should ALWAYS backup whatever data may be lost. ALWAYS.
> 3. The kolab update should check your data AFTER the update.
> 4. I spent a lot of time diggin through man pages and experimenting. This
> procedure MUST be documented. In SIMPLE terms, in excruciating detail.
> Assume NOTHING. I couldn't replicate what I did again, without spending
> hours researching. Again.

> Until you document it, for users and admins
> Until you make it as bombproof as possible
> Until you answer ALL questions presented (including "We Don't Know" as an
> answer, not responding to questions asked is a BIG problem here)
>
> This project will suffer.  In my opinion.
>
> Many of us fight against proprietary software in our businesses every day,
> but things like this make it hard for us to justify open source.

I completely agree that this should be way better, but the question
is who does the work. We never claimed that Kolab2 is ready for prime time
without having a technical person in the background.
If someone employs Free Software without thinking about the majority and
the support cases, this is not something that will damage Free Software
or Kolab. Basically this is the same with all software in the world.
With Free Software you just have more choices.

Coming back to the problem that you have had:
Maybe you can help us to document the backup and update procedures
and become a part of the project.

Regards,
Bernhard