Yet Another Mail Client Problem... :-(

Luca Villani luca.villani at wseurope.com
Fri Jun 25 12:34:16 CEST 2004

Ciao a tutti.

First, I'm afraid my english is very poor, sorry...

I'm going in trouble looking for a packaged/packageable linux mail client.

I find only *one* prepackaged linux client working well: kdepim-kroupware
shipped with Mandrake 9.2.

All other prepackaged clients will not work (except for IMAP), included
Kontact shipped with Mandrake 10.0, Mandrake Cooker, Fedora Core 2, Debian
Testing.

I *need* a prepackaged client, because in the initial testing round I will
move on kolab about 50 users, almost all running Mandrake 10, almost all
other running Fedora Core 2 and one running Debian testing: simply, I can not
downgrade KDE to 3.1 and build client from sources, 50 workstation is too
many for this approach.
For other reason, I don't downgrade all of them to Mandrake 9.2.

My first attempt was this: I had download the kdenetwork&kdepim source RPM
from Mandrake Cooker and the KDE 3.2.3 kdenetwork&kdepim source from kde.org,
then I had rebuilt all rpm packages with rpm -ba...

Well, it don't work: my own prepackaged kontact seem don't handle all kolab
features except from IMAP e-mail retrieving: I had done a test with a simple
kalendar appointment, but receiver see the requesting e-mail like this:

	Organizer: kolab2 at groupware.wired
	Sommario: ttt
	Data di inizio: 25/6/2004
	Ora di inizio: 18:00
	Data di fine: 25/6/2004
	Ora di fine: 18:15
	Dettagli:
	qqq

	BEGIN:VCALENDAR
	PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML libkcal 3.2//EN
	VERSION:2.0
	METHOD:REQUEST
	BEGIN:VEVENT
	DTSTAMP:20040625T085519Z
	ORGANIZER:MAILTO:kolab2 at groupware.wired
	ATTENDEE;CN=Test
	 Kolab1;RSVP=TRUE;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:mailto:kolab1 at gr
	oupware.wired CREATED:20040625T085436Z
	UID:libkcal-1781239726.1056
	SEQUENCE:1
	LAST-MODIFIED:20040625T085436Z
	SUMMARY:ttt
	CLASS:PUBLIC
	PRIORITY:3
	DTSTART:20040625T160000Z
	DTEND:20040625T161500Z
	TRANSP:OPAQUE
	END:VEVENT

	END:VCALENDAR

Yes, receiver see all this text, and not see any link regarding accepting or
discarding appointment...

Now, I don't know if kontact is misconfigured, or if it has no kolab support
built in it: I get kde source from

	ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.3/src

are there another source?

Does anyone has some hint?

--
Luca Villani                Wireless Solutions spa - DADA group
NOC manager                 Europe HQ, via Castiglione 25 Bologna