Kolab's LDAP to authenticate sessions

Alexandre Boeglin alex at nexedi.com
Wed Jun 16 11:19:15 CEST 2004

Le mercredi 16 Juin 2004 09:27, David Schneider a écrit :
> your solution looks promising, but i have no experience with
> mandrake. i'm running kolab on suse 9.0, binary installation.
> my kolab server is already in productive use and running fine,
> so i'm careful with any changes. do you think this is possible
> to use it for my system? maybe any recommendations?

The major difference between SuSE and Mandrake might be the way they
handle pam.d config files, here, so you may need to modify them
accordingly...

Apart from that, I see no reason now why it shouldn't work, but I
actually didn't play intensively with Kolab... So, maybe you should
first replicate your Kolab setup on a test server, and then test my
solution on it before trying it on the actual server.

> and just to get this right, the line
> 	"urpmi kolab-server drakwizard"
> is the installation of kolab on mandrake using urpmi, not a step
> necessary for using the kolab ldap to store and authenticate users?

Err, I'm afraid I didn't understood what you meant, so maybe this won't
answer, but here is it :

the kolab-server package is the only kolab related package in Mandrake
10.0. So, installing it is the Mandrake way of installing Kolab 1.0.
The drakwizard package is just a configuration helper that supports
Kolab.

If you only want so use LDAP for pam and Samba authentication, then, you
don't need Kolab. What I have here, is both Kolab and authentication
running, with the same LDAP directory structure and entities.

Regards,
Alex