ldap, sasl problem during boot_strap

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jun 15 18:47:16 CEST 2004

On Thursday 10 June 2004 20:03, Mathieu Blondel wrote:
> I'm new to topics such as cyrus-imap,sasl and ldap. I'm getting more and
> more comfortable with ldap but cyrus-imap and sasl remain obscure to me. To
> the kolab developpers' mind, are the kolab-server admins supposed to know
> all those technologies ?

No.

> But here is my problem.
> I'm running Mandrake 10.0 Official and have setup kolab-server-1.0-0.23.100
> thanks to urpmi (I didn't use the openpkg method).

I have personally not used this version of mandrake,
so I cannot really help in the detail here.

> At the end of the rpm install, I'm invited to run this command
> /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b which causes problems :
>
> The problem comes from ldap. Here is an extract of what is displayed by
> this command (I have removed what seems to be ok) :
>
>  ---
> no dc=lune,dc=mydomain,dc=com object found, creating one
> failed to write basedn entry : Unknown error at
> /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 170, <DATA> line 283.
> no kolab config object in ldap, generating a reasonable default
> mynetworkinterfaces: 127.0.0.0/8
> failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
> 225, <DATA> line 283.
>
> When executing /etc/init.d/kolab-server start, all services start correctly
> except I have the following error : Can't call method "attributes" on an
> undefined value at /usr/sbin/kolab line 353, <DATA> line 283.

it seems that kolab.conf is not filled correctly.
I cannot say how that happened, were all other ldap services stopped
when running the bootstrap?

> If the problem is really due to sasl, I don't know how to fix it. And then
> any help woulb be really enjoyed!

It does not seem to be sasl.
Try slapcat as root.
You probably do not have a correctly set up ldap tree.

> Thank you very much for your help. I hope I'm clear enough and not too
> verbose. I'm really impatient to have kolab-server working :) Features list
> is really attractive.

You could try the experimental server packages using obmtool
if you just want to run  a few tests.