a few questions ( repost )

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Fri Jul 30 09:35:55 CEST 2004

Den 30. jul 2004, kl. 2:15, skrev Corey:

> Were my questions unworthy of response, or are folks just too busy to
> reply?

yes

> Would my post have been better suited in kolab-devel?
>
> thanks:
>
> On Tuesday 27 July 2004 06:28 pm, Corey wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm new to the list, and have done some general browsing around on the
>> kolab.org and kroupware.org pages - and I have a few questions.
>>
>> For one, I'm a little confused concerning the differentiation/split
>> between
>> the  "kolab" and the "kroupware" projects.  It was my impression that
>> kroupware was the original commercial project which kolab sprang
>> from, and
>> that kroupware is now deprecated in lieu of the community kolab
>> effort.

does it matter?

>> However, the kolab pages keep redirecting to the kroupware site for
>> documentation and downloads - both of which appear to be outdated. On
>> the
>> main kroupware.org page, it indicates that kolab 1.0.5 was the last
>> and
>> latest release, on Aug 16th... almost a year ago. Yet,
>> http://kroupware.org/howto-kolab.html states:

people are busy coding. But i do agree with you that an update is
needed.

>> "You'll find the current (>=1.0.8) Kolab Server source releases at:
>> www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/".  To confuse matters worse,
>> the download link takes you to a directory listing, providing
>> 'kolab-server-1.0' rather than 'kolab-server-1.0.x'. Drilling into
>> the src
>> dir, there's 4 different kolab rpms!  Then after perusing the mailing
>> list
>> archives, I get clued onto
>> 'ftp.kolab.org/kolab/server/development/current/sources'... but of
>> course
>> there is no link or explanation regarding these sources anywhere that
>> I can
>> find on the kolab site... Not to mention the zfos site that
>> apparently also
>> has repackaged Kolab or something, heck I don't know - I only found
>> out
>> about that through the gentoo user forums... This is exasperating.
>>
>> So the problem I see here is a confusing lack of organization and
>> cohesion
>> - as a curious potential new user, I'm presented with many hurdles,
>> redirection, and uncertainty. Is there something I'm missing, or is
>> this
>> truly an accurate assesment of kolab's current situation?

i'm afraid you are right.

>> Questions I noted while going through all this - hopefully someone
>> could
>> help me out and answer them:
>>
>> Why am I still being directed to the 'kroupware' site, when 'kolab'
>> is the
>> current community site?
>>
>> Which _is_ the correct latest, "bestest" source, and where do I get
>> it?
>>
>> Which is the correct latest, "bestest" documentation, and where do I
>> get
>> it?
>>
>> Why doesn't the kolab community site host and provide the current
>> documentation and sources -  in a more intuitive manner? Are there any
>> plans to correct the situation? Is it merely a matter of a lack of
>> man-power? Where can I help?

there are no real community :/ i think the coders are busy coding, and
that
they have an corporate client that pays them. This leaves little time
to kick
start the community, and i'm sure that your man-power can be used, i
just
dont think you should expect much from the coders.

i would suggest that the coders start to follow the release early,
release often
way of running a project, it sure will get alot more attention. Further
more i wish
they would take your offer to create a website.

JonB