Kolab client integration

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Mon Jul 12 14:54:18 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 10:31, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> Is is better because of better Kolab integration or because of
> improvements in the applications?
Integration and improvements are most times the same, aren't they? ;-)

> I don't get much feedback about the
> Kolab client functionality, so I would really appreciate to hear about
> it. Some concrete questions:
>
> Do you use the free/busy stuff? Do you use it for events with many
> attendees? Do you use iMIP? Do you use it to interact with Outlook users?
> Do you access the same Kolab account from different hosts (e.g. at office
> and at home)? Do you have many contacts in your addressbooks?

I only experimented with free/busy and it worked. Currently I don't use it
regularly.

I'm using attachments with up to 10 people. I don't know, if that's many.
I'm okay with the handling.

I'm not sure about the iMIP question. If it is about storing events and
contacts on the server, then I do. I'm using two resources (IMAP and file)
for events and contacts each.

I tested Kolab with Outlook via Binary Connector, but I don't like Outlook
and the Connector was a pain. However I'm using Aethera on Windows to
access my Kolab account. The organizer part works quite well in the recent
version. (However the tools out of KDEPIM are my favorite applications.)

Yes, I'm accessing my account from three installations. A desktop with Linux
and KDEPIM HEAD in the office plus a Notebook with KDE 3.2.3 as well as
with Aethera on W2K. (And I'm using the Horde based web client when dialing
in from home.) KDEPIM HEAD is by far the best client.

I'm having 180+ contacts in my addressbook based on an IMAP resource, and
I'm having another 20+ in a file based resource. Again I'm not sure if
that's much.

Regards,
Andreas