Aethera 1.1.0

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Fri Jul 9 14:07:07 CEST 2004

Den 9. jul 2004, kl. 14:50, skrev Eugen Constantinescu:

> Hi Jon,
> Please call FULL_PATH_INSTALLATION/aethera.app/Contents/MacOS/aethera.

i'll try that

> I don't know why sending isn't authenticating right especially because
> you cannot edit the account (to check your user, password). May be the
> output will show some reasons.

i'll look for it, i wonder why it just doesnt ask for the password
again if it was wrong.

> Are you editing the account while you are downloading emails ?

no

> It shouldn't crash but I want to know more details.

it doesnt today, but it freezes and does nothhing.

> The fact that you have your emails duplicated means you have
> downloaded them twice.
> This is possible if the downloaded emails uid-s aren't saved (a crash
> before downloading all the emails or editing the account info while it
> is downloading the emails).

could be

> I cannot comment the 'UI strange', you should let us know what's
> wrong... I am really listening the users opinion.

well, thats the problem with User Interface Design, it's not easy to
put your finder at what is wrong.
I'd suggest doing some useability tests. Take a person that doesnt know
aethera, and make them
use it. Make them tell what they do, and why, aka think aloud. Perhaps
video them. Then you reflict
on the result by making:
1) observation - the user did this and this
2) conclussion - why did the user do this
3) improvement suggestions - what could be done better

Let me give you an example with my usage

1) Jon moves the mouse over more than one icon, displays the
describtion text, and runs the mouse through the various menues
2) Jon doesnt intuivly guess what a particular icon does, or can not
see it
3) make icons bigger and write text that explains what they do.

> Sure, I wouldn't recommend a program which is crashing so often to
> anyone too.

it's not the crashes that is the biggest problem. It is the interface i
dont understand. I find it hard to use.
Maybe it is because the icons are too small, and that there is no text.

> I don't have much experience with Mac OSX and it is possible to have
> something wrong in the application folder, I am still waiting for more
> feedback from Mac users.

you know, back in may or april when you first said this was on it's
way, i wrote an email offering to be a beta tester.
I dont believe i got a reply, so i waited untill it got out, and i
testest it now.

JonB
ps: i'm not a usability expert, but i have had some courses about HCI,
which i find to be
very importent.
ppss: perhaps you should look at other mail clients, perhaps OSX's
Mail, and see the size,
shape, and form of the icons. I find them very good.