Running Mandrake 10.0 -> best way to install Kolab?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 20 12:54:11 CET 2004

Hi Tobias,

On Thursday 16 December 2004 01:20, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
> Since I'm having trouble understanding the release and distribution
> policies of the Kolab project

Can you be more specific about what you do not understand?
Of course we want to improve!

Currently we a publishing development Kolab2 Servers
by date numbers. They are run by a few people in production
systems, are feature complete and we are close to
call them beta.

There are several Kolab1 Server variants out there.
E.g. Openpkg's zfos and Mandrake's.

> it would be nice to get some answers to these questions:

> Should I keep trying to install Kolab using the kolab rpm that Mandrake
> supplies via its own urpmi repository? I suspect the answer will be no.
> If so any explanation is welcome. Any hint on how to get my current
> non-working installation to work, which is cited and described below is
> even more welcome.

I am not familiar with Mandrake's Kolab1 server packaging,
thus I cannot help there. Mandrake should be able to give you support.

When you are a new to Kolab, I suggest trying the Kolab2 server instead.

> I informed myself about OpenPKG and now I have some more questions:
>
> Can I run Kolab and the involved services next to already existing
> services like Apache2 on my Mandrake 10.0 box if I install Kolab via the
> obmtool?

No, you need to change the ports or merge the configuration files.

>  I noticed that Kolab makes use of Apache 1.3 in OpenPKG for
> example. Will this conflict with my existing Apache2 installation on my
> Mandrake 10.0 box when I try to install Kolab?

The Kolab installation is completely contained in /kolab,
(except crontab entry and /etc/init.d/kolab and some use of /var/log/,
but those are minor.)
The Kolab server needs to have the ports available, though.

> I also have other systems
> configured and running by using the Mandrake package management. It
> would be nice to keep these if possible. For example, I heavily depend
> on maintaining my current NIS, NFS and Cups installation.

Y ou can of course keep that, Kolab does nothing with NIS, NFS or Cups.
In fact, be careful to not put /kolab/var/imapd on an NFS mounted partition.

> Suppose I can't keep the services I already configured through the
> ordinary Mandrake channels and suppose I consider switching to OpenPKG
> on my Mandrake 10.0 box all along for all my services. Will I be able to
> install additional packages from OpenPKG after installing Kolab via the
> obmtool method? In other words: is running the obmtool the same as first
> setting up a regular OpenPKG installation and then installing Kolab
> using this?

Yes.

> Is the Kolab source rpm in OpenPKG on their download servers the same as
> the current Kolab release on the Kolab ftp servers?

No, OpenPKG  only distributes the cf variant of the Kolab1 Server.

> Considering everything I found out so far I have to note that using
> OpenPKG to distribute Kolab in an effort to stay independent somehow
> sacrifices the simplicity native packages have. There doesn't seem to be
> a consistent policy. I'm trying hard to grasp the concept but as you can
> see, I still have many questions. Setting up some documentation on how
> installing Kolab fits into an already existing server infrastructure
> would definitely ease the pain a bit.

In many settings you just use one machine as Kolab Server.