Kolab2: postfix/lmtp 550-Mailbox unknown

Harald Brass brassh at intevation.de
Sun Dec 12 23:51:39 CET 2004

With kolab2 (of 1 Dec.) installed "out of the box", mail cannot deliver
mail locally if  the respective user has been created with the username
"username" (without "@domain"). The mail is rejected, the postfix log
shows "postfix/lmtp 550-Mailbox unknown". The reason is that postfix
tries to deliver to username at domain, while Cyrus only knows username.

It has been proposed to set all usernames as "username at domain". In this
case the delivery works, but the internal cyrus data structure is more
complicated.

It seems there is another solution which I found more convenient for my
purposes and which might be interesting for others as well:

Set "virtdomains: off" instead of "virtdomains: ldap" in
/kolab/etc/kolab/templates/imapd.conf.template and
/kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.conf. After this change, Cyrus strips the @domain
portion. Of course, this implies that all kolab users are part of one
mail domain.

Kind regards

Harald
/work.
>>>/ I still have one problem though. Postfix seems to have difficult time passing my messages to IMAP
/>>>/ server.
/
..

>>/ I had this same problem at first. The fix was to create my users with
/>>/ the full email address in the 'Primary e-mail address' field, i.e,
/>>/ 'lamer at time.net <https://kolab.org/mailman/listinfo/kolab-users>'. What is happening is that the mailbox is being created
/>>/ as 'lamer'. Postfix passes the message along to lmtp for
/>>/ 'lamer at time.net <https://kolab.org/mailman/listinfo/kolab-users>'. Cyrus looks for a mailbox for 'lamer at time.net <https://kolab.org/mailman/listinfo/kolab-users>' and
/>>/ reports that it is not found. The old admin guide on the Kroupware site
/>>/ kinda leads you to believe that the domain name will be added
/>>/ automatically. This doesn't seem to be the case.
/