WIKI extension?

Michael S. Mikowski mmikowsk at mindsharemanagement.com
Fri Aug 20 02:23:11 CEST 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 06:11 pm, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. August 2004 23:18 schrieb Markus Heller:
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> > The requirements specification would be this:
> >
> > - have the wiki operate through ssl and only on authentification
>
> I am not aware of any wiki with strong ACLs and hierarchical
> authentification etc. All wiki code I had a look at emphasized on open
> collaboration not hierarchical access control.
>
> > - have the wiki organize its pages depending on visibility rights which
> > are derived from a group system. --> Not every employee will be entitled
> > to see information from every knowledge field in an enterprise. So this
> > constitutes the need for a dynamic group system..., which should be part
> > of the architecture anyway, right?
>
> Are you going to code it?

Hi, I'm a lurker and occasional poster ;)

I have coded a strong ACL's knowledge base system using OO mod_perl and
includes a web interface.  Besides ACL's, it features many useful knowledge
management tasks.  Here's a quote from a recent plug:

<blatant plug>
If you are looking for knowledge management system, my company
provides a product called "DynaOrg" which has a couple man-years behind it
and does a pretty darn good job of tracking software projects.   We use it
(and CVS) with my clients, and the response and benefits have been very
positive.  At the end of an accounting period, we simply request a project
report and there's our invoice.

It features development time accounting (e.g. we planned to take 8 hours to
fix this issue, but actual time was 7), documents attachments of any format,
shared bookmarks, references, point-in-time views, Gantt charts, project and
department reports, sophisticated ACLs, and other goodies.    It's an OO
mod_perl n-tier app that sits on top of MySQL (so its quite fast) and has a
very well documented middleware layer (so one can write their own
extensions).  An overview is presented on our web site, and a demonstration
could be arraged along with a user manual.  Let me know if you might be
interested.
</blatant plug>

I've looked to get this integrated to other OSS systems before; perhaps Kolab
is the way to go.  It would be great to be able to push emails to this app as
well as coordinate authentication.  What do you think?

--
Michael S. Mikowski, RHCE (RHEL 3)
http://mindsharemanagement.com
sales at mindsharemanagement.com