eGroupware/Kolab2/Outlook/Kontact

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Tue Aug 17 12:44:54 CEST 2004

Hi Bo and all,

> > I have seen vague messages that egroupware is compatible with the Kolab
> > Server, and will be with Outlook, and is with Kontact.
> >
> > I have an environment that requires group access and sharing with all
> > of the above, web access to mail/calendars/contacts, Kontact, Outlook.

> I can't help you with what eGroupware can do, but I can assure you that
> egroupware is not "compatible" with Kolab.

As soon as KOLAB should come with a web frontend, we are hitting the field of
portal software. There is an important standard, JSR 168, which you can find
described at the SUN website. It is important for providing compatibility and
the ability to integrate "portlets" that come from most different
contributors to a portal.

I have understood that KOLAB is at least partly meant to go in the portal
direction, so this standard should be supported.

An important question: Where can I find information on which features will be
provided by KOLAB2? I still don't know where I can get some more information.
I mean, there should be some kind of specification...

Greetings,
Markus