utf8 related problem with character encoding when using the calender

Sævaldur Gunnarsson addi at root.is
Mon Apr 26 11:49:39 CEST 2004

Hi, I'm having some character encoding difficulties with kolab involving
all of the non-english characters we use here in Iceland (á,é,þ,ð,æ for
example) when using the meeting and calender feature of kolab

I've split the process into 7 steps and there are screenshot for each of
the steps to help you understand what I'm talking about ;)

1)
I begin by creating a new meeting request which include Icelandic
characters both in the title and in the summary
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client1-1.png

2)
There are 3 other attendants for this meeting besides myself so Kontact
offers me to send out the invitation, in the outgoing mail all the
Icelandic characters appear correctly
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client1-2.png

3)
The meeting appears on my own calender with all Icelandic characters
correct
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client1-3.png

4)
One of the attendants receives the meeting invitation and the subject
which contained Icelandic characters is displayed correctly but the
meeting description does not nor does any Icelandic characters that
appear beneath the groupware lines ([accept] [accept cond.] etc.)
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client2-1.png

5)
Then the attendant accept the meeting request and sends back the accept
email in which even the subject line is corrupted as well as the whole
email
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client2-2.png

6)
The meeting appears on the attendants calendar without any of the
Icelandic characters displayed correctly
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client2-3.png

7)
I then receive the confirmation from the attendant with an email in
which none of the Icelandic characters are displayed correctly
http://kasmir.hugi.is/kasmir/umsjon/synamynd.php3?kt=040683-
4889&myndnafn=client1-4.png

I've both tried making both the server and client UTF8 enabled (with /
etc/sysconfig/i18n in Fedora Core) and UTF8 "disabled" .. etc. using the
ISO-8859-1

This is really the only bug standing in my way for really recommending
Kolab as a viable Exchange killer here on Iceland.

--
Sævaldur Gunnarsson: RHCE
Let justice be done; though the world perish