postfix/lmtp 550-Mailbox unknown

Matt M. lmatt at ironblue.com
Fri Apr 16 05:19:57 CEST 2004

Igor Shmukler wrote:
> With help of several people on this mailing list, I am slowly getting my kolab installation to work.
>
> I still have one problem though. Postfix seems to have difficult time passing my messages to IMAP
> server.
[...]
> Apr 15 15:41:17 groupware <info> postfix/lmtp[14630]: 74DD4CB2: to=<lamer at time.net>, relay=/kolab/
> var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp], delay=0, status=bounced (host /kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/
> var/kolab/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name
> or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I had this same problem at first. The fix was to create my users with
the full email address in the 'Primary e-mail address' field, i.e,
'lamer at time.net'. What is happening is that the mailbox is being created
as 'lamer'. Postfix passes the message along to lmtp for
'lamer at time.net'. Cyrus looks for a mailbox for 'lamer at time.net' and
reports that it is not found. The old admin guide on the Kroupware site
kinda leads you to believe that the domain name will be added
automatically. This doesn't seem to be the case.

--
Matt M.