Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Wed Apr 14 11:45:14 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11:20, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> Den 14. apr 2004, kl. 10:54, skrev Bo Thorsen:
> >
> > On Wednesday 14 April 2004 10:43, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> >> Den 14. apr 2004, kl. 8:38, skrev Bo Thorsen:
>
> [cut]
>
> how can the client access the imap homedir of other users? Can my
> client access your email?
>
> "A potential good deal went wrong, but with several involved people,
> the upper management want to know where it went wrong, and thus wants
> to see all communication with the potential customer. Since both sales
> people and engineers communicated with people, both management and
> engineers at the customer site, and this happened over several months,
> asking the people involved for the email they send and recieved is much
> work, and they might miss on purpose or not, an importent email. Thus,
> the only solution is to have do the search centraly looking through all
> mailboxes.
> There might even be a lawsuit involved where one of the parts sues the
> other for not paying, or not delivering the promised."
>
> How would you do that? Either you need to copy ALL data off the
> mailserver, which takes some work, and more importent, it takes double
> space. Or you search through the data at the mailserver, using cpu.
>
> At a former work we had a small system like this. We stored all emails
> to and from customers and partners, but we didnt always know beforehand
> which was importent enough to store, so we had a script that ran
> through all the files in the users Maildir on the imap server looking
> for to, from or cc adresses containing the customer/partner. It was
> used so other people communicating with a customer/partner could see
> who said what to whom, (trying to) eliminate problems before they did
> arrise.

The way we solve it is to allow others to access other people's mail
folders. This has been added to KMail within the last days, so it's not
likely to be known by most people. Also, the administrator will probably
be able to handle giving out access to others.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark