Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Marc Groot Koerkamp marc at squirrelmail.org
Fri Apr 9 12:45:33 CEST 2004

Jon Bendtsen said:
> Den 8. apr 2004, kl. 16:09, skrev Bo Thorsen:

>> On Thursday 08 April 2004 09:52, Ilja Booij wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if you are considering using a database backend for all objects, you
>>> might want to take a look at DBMail (http://www.dbmail.org), which is
>>> an IMAP and POP3 server using a database (currently PostgreSQL and
>>> MySQL are supported) as backend. The version that is currently in
>>> development also supports IMAP ACLs. We also have somebody working on
>>> Sieve scripting.
>>
>> Unless someone can actually describe advantages of storing the parts
>> in a
>> database it's not going to happen. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but
>> I've been hearing this suggestion for the last 18 months without a
>> single
>> person being able to give a summary of the advantages over the current
>> storing. And that would include a list of the disadvantages also - the
>> biggest of these being a *huge* performance hit.
>>
>> I basically don't see a single good reason to store in a db, but
>> plenty to
>> not do it.
>>
>> I dare you to prove me wrong :-)
>
> Not that i like the database solution myself...
> But would the database solution not make it easier to only store a
> message for many people
> once, and even attachments once?  - storage is cheap

As far as I know kolab is using cyrus imap as imap server and talks imap
over the wire. This means you do not have to worry about how cyrus stores
the data in the backend. Cyrus has also duplicate delivery surpression
which does what you want.

> Searching through messages might be easier, if you could get an sql
> like interface?
> doing advanced stuff like selecting all messages sent to one particular
> customer?

cyrus.squat is invented for speeding up text searches.

For more info about the backend storage of cyrus which IMHO is better then
using a db backend you can take a look at:
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/paper.html#3.1.%20The%20Cyrus%20message%20store

Marc.