Can Kolab act as an Internal Mail Server and Relay

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Fri Apr 9 10:27:17 CEST 2004

Den 8. apr 2004, kl. 17:31, skrev Stephen Hind:

> [...]

i guess you have to do this to postfix.

> Fetchmail - as far as I am aware this is not a part of kolab, so I
> guess I
> have to configure that myself?  If so how would I marry up fetchmail
> pulling
> 30 (approx) mail accounts into the corresponding kolab accounts?

start kolab, then you run a smtp server and then start fetchmail at the
same host.
fetchmail then injects any mails it downloads into the smtp server, and
thus they
are in kolab.
Perhaps you dont need 30 pop boxes, but only one, and they you use
multidrop.
that _REQUIRES_ that your external mailserver adds a header telling who
the
mail really was for. This might be called
Delivered-to
envelope-to
x-original-to
But you really need that.

>>> At the moment I'm testing kolab on a Mandrake 10.0 Community based
>>> system, which is my desktop.  I use the built-in KDE Kontact/KMail
>>> package to connect to it, which it seems to successfully, as can see
>>> my inbox.  I encounter one problem however.  I have tried to send
>>> mail
>>> to myself at both my internal address and the standard internet
>>> address, but it remain in my outbox always.
>>
>> hmm, in your outbox? Did you define a server for sending email?
>
> YES! See the paragraph below from my original mail!  If I don't define
> server KMail says "define a server"
>

>>> Can I use KDE contact?  If so what have I not configured (I added the
>>> kolab server in as both an IMAP, IMAP disconnected and SMTP
>>> servers).
>>> Should I use the kolab client instead?
>>
>> What happens when you try to send a message to yourself ?
>
> It sits in my outbox.

Have you tried with another mail program ?

>>> I hope these are clear enough, please mail me if not.
>>
>> they are a little unclear to me.
>

> OK I will try to be clearer:
>
> What we want to achieve is to use kolab as an internal groupware
> server so
> we can share/view calendars, send mail to one another without having
> to use
> the internet, have a common address book, send appointments and tasks.
>  But
> we want kolab to automatically send emails that need to go out to the
> internet, so I guess we rely on postfix for this?  the kolab web
> interface
> does not appear to give any configuration options for postfix, is this
> right
> or am I missing something?

I dont think you need to configure postfix to do this, i think it
delives externaly
by default, have you tried it? Perhaps you need to tell kolab that it
must relay
all outgoing emails through your ISP's smtp server, but that is not
hard.
All configuration is done in /kolab/etc/kolab/postfix
or something like that

JonB