Aethera/Windows alternative to Outlook

Michael Harlaut m.harlaut at atolcd.com
Fri Apr 9 09:30:55 CEST 2004

Jon Bendtsen <jon at kollegiegaarden.dk wrote:

> have you any thoughts here?
> porting of kontact to pure QT? and thus being able to run on windows?
> but also mac?
> Aethera? there is some work in progress, why not use that?

I totally agree.

Do not forget that the calendar part of Aethera is a full porting of
Korganizer to Windows. A Mac OSX version will also be available soon.
(We evaluated the Kmail porting ... This is to difficult because it's
too much linked to the KioSlave parts of KDE, and the goal is not to
port KDE to Windows :p)

We (Atol C&D, my company) have decided to provide one full time
developper and a dedicated team to put more efforts on Aethera.

- First (and again), this is a full Korganizer porting (synchronization
with the 3.2 version in progress) : Do not forget : This is not a
Korganizer/Kontact compatibility. This is Korganizer for Windows !
- Aethera is available for 3 platforms
- It is free software
- This is a really nice piece of code, and The Kompany has made a really
nice work on this software : Modular and with a really powerfull core,
wich give us fast development possibilities.

Yes, the mail part has to be improved : We work on it, and there are
already very encouraging results (it's quite easy to add
functionnalities, thanks again to the first developpers).

The next version of Aethera will be impressive I think :)

I'm currently writing a review (From the users and from the developper
point of view), I think it will be available during the next week.

(For the impatient French speaking people, you can already see a PDF
file that shows some Aethera related informations on http://www.atolcd.com/)

We have to provide Outlook compatibily for Kolab ... but I think an
alternative is really important too.
Aethera can be.

> Mozilla's mailprogram and calendar?

Mozilla mail is really rich and a nice tool, but the calendar part is
really poor. It needs a lot of work to make it really useable in a
professionnal environment.
We tested it a lot (several months) before chosing the Aethera way, and
there is some big performances issues when handling big calendars (with
a lot of events). It can take 20 seconds to add one event !

--
Michael Harlaut
Système et réseaux - Logiciels libres

Atol Conseils et Développements