Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Ilja ilja at ic-s.nl
Thu Apr 8 22:51:01 CEST 2004

Bo Thorsen wrote:

>On Thursday 08 April 2004 09:52, Ilja Booij wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>if you are considering using a database backend for all objects, you
>>might want to take a look at DBMail (http://www.dbmail.org), which is
>>an IMAP and POP3 server using a database (currently PostgreSQL and
>>MySQL are supported) as backend. The version that is currently in
>>development also supports IMAP ACLs. We also have somebody working on
>>Sieve scripting.
>>

>Unless someone can actually describe advantages of storing the parts in a
>database it's not going to happen. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but
>I've been hearing this suggestion for the last 18 months without a single
>person being able to give a summary of the advantages over the current
>storing. And that would include a list of the disadvantages also - the
>biggest of these being a *huge* performance hit.
>
>I basically don't see a single good reason to store in a db, but plenty to
>not do it.
>
>I dare you to prove me wrong :-)
>
>Bo.

There are a few advantages to using a database backend.
* When having big amounts of email (>20GB), it comes in handy to be able
to search for a messages very quickly (this is especially helpful for IMAP)
* it's easy to do load balancing, replication etc, because these are
built-in features of the database.

I agree that a database backend introduces overhead, and this will
certainly hit you if you have a small site. If you have a larger site,
with thousands of users, using a database can be very helpful.

Ilja