Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Thu Apr 8 16:09:13 CEST 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 09:52, Ilja Booij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you are considering using a database backend for all objects, you
> might want to take a look at DBMail (http://www.dbmail.org), which is
> an IMAP and POP3 server using a database (currently PostgreSQL and
> MySQL are supported) as backend. The version that is currently in
> development also supports IMAP ACLs. We also have somebody working on
> Sieve scripting.

Unless someone can actually describe advantages of storing the parts in a
database it's not going to happen. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but
I've been hearing this suggestion for the last 18 months without a single
person being able to give a summary of the advantages over the current
storing. And that would include a list of the disadvantages also - the
biggest of these being a *huge* performance hit.

I basically don't see a single good reason to store in a db, but plenty to
not do it.

I dare you to prove me wrong :-)

Bo.