Installing Kolab 3.1 from Debian Repos, lots of error with workarounds

Frerk Meyer Frerk.Meyer at gmx.de
Di Nov 12 21:59:50 CET 2013

Hi,

I want to install Kolab 3.1 on a fresh install of Debian Wheezy with
Debian packages. For reasons of privacy I will call my server domainname
myvservername.de
which is not the real one.

The reverse DNS Entry is more like
v0123456789.yourvserver.net
Perhaps this is the reason for my trouble?

I used the following debian repositories:
deb http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/3.1/Debian_7.0/ ./
deb http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/3.1:/Updates/Debian_7.0/ ./
deb http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/Kolab:/Development/Debian_7.0/ ./
deb
http://obs.kolabsys.com:82/home:/tpokorra:/branches:/Kolab:/Development/Debian_7.0/
./

I tried to install with:
apt-get install kolab

I got an error with a conflict of an already installed libcalendaring0
After learning apt-get, aptitude and dpkg in a crash course and
some hours of installing, removing and purging I somehow got it resolved.

After that I tried
setup-kolab
many times.

The one error message was

---
Setup is now going to set up the 389 Directory Server. This may take a
little
while (during which period there is no output and no progress
indication).

Failed to issue method call: Unit dirsrv.target failed to load: No such
file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dirsrv.target'
for details.
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
---

I opened another shell and entered
> service dirsrv stop
> service dirsrv start
I guess in the setup code there is a line like
service dirsrv.target start
but .target is not found?

Next error was always:
---
Kolab Service password [LYh2nvEpsxZqzdV]:
Confirm Kolab Service password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/setup-kolab", line 42, in <module>
    setup.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pykolab/setup/__init__.py",
line 43, in run
    components.execute('_'.join(to_execute))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pykolab/setup/components.py",
line 170, in execute
    execute(component)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pykolab/setup/components.py",
line 202, in execute
    components[component_name]['function'](conf.cli_args, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pykolab/setup/setup_ldap.py",
line 661, in execute
    auth._auth.ldap.modify_s(dn, modlist)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 357,
in modify_s
    return self.result(msgid,all=1,timeout=self.timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 458,
in result
    resp_type, resp_data, resp_msgid = self.result2(msgid,all,timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 462,
in result2
    resp_type, resp_data, resp_msgid, resp_ctrls =
self.result3(msgid,all,timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 469,
in result3
    resp_ctrl_classes=resp_ctrl_classes
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 476,
in result4
    ldap_result =
self._ldap_call(self._l.result4,msgid,all,timeout,add_ctrls,add_intermediates,add_extop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 99,
in _ldap_call
    result = func(*args,**kwargs)
ldap.INVALID_SYNTAX: {'info': 'targetattr "kolabDelegate" does not exist
in schema. Please add attributeTypes "kolabDelegate" to schema if
necessary. ACL Syntax Error(-5):(targetattr = \\22homePhone ||
preferredDeliveryMethod || jpegPhoto || postalAddress || carLicense ||
userPassword || mobile || displayName || kolabDelegate || description ||
labeledURI || homePostalAddress || postOfficeBox || registeredAddress ||
postalCode || photo || title || street || kolabInvitationPolicy || pager
|| o || l || initials || kolabAllowSMTPSender || telephoneNumber ||
preferredLanguage || facsimileTelephoneNumber\\22) (version 3.0;acl
\\22Enable self write for common attributes\\22;allow
(read,compare,search,write)(userdn = \\22ldap:///self\\22);)\n', 'desc':
'Invalid syntax'}
---

I checked that the attribute kolabDelegate exists under
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-myvservernumer/schema/99kolab2.ldif
but it is not found although the instance was running.

So I copied 99kolab2.ldif to
/etc/dirsrv/schema/99kolab2.ldif

setup-kolab printed some ~20 lines of 'failed' but exited:
---
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: Unit amavisd.service failed to load: No
such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status
amavisd.service' for details.
Failed to issue method call: Unit clamd.amavisd.service failed to load:
No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status
clamd.amavisd.service' for details.
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: Unit mysqld.service failed to load: No such
file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status mysqld.service'
for details.
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
[..]
Failed to issue method call: Unit httpd.service failed to load: No such
file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status httpd.service'
for details.
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
Failed to issue method call: Unit kolabd.service failed to load: No such
file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status kolabd.service'
for details.
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
---
I started all the mentioned services manually and verified
if they were running, ok.

Now I could login to
https://myvservername.de/kolab-webadmin/
and I was able to create a user, ok.

But I cannot login to
https://myvservername.de/roundcubemail/
with this user.

I checked some log files but didn't find a clue so far.
This took me same hours, deinstalling with a script
from Timotheus Pokorra after each try (or parts of it),
many thanks for this.

Next time I don't have the motivation to begin anew, so I would rather
try to fix this installation.

I hope this helps all users, who want to install Kolab 3.1 on (a fresh
installed) Debian Wheezy.

Frerk Meyer
frerk.meyer at gmx.de