Format definition clarification

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Mon Sep 3 16:15:03 CEST 2012

On Monday 03 September 2012 11.22:12 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On Saturday, September 01, 2012 09:42:49 PM Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 September 2012 16.28:48 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > > I need a small clarification wrt. the format definition:
> > >   http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab_3.0_Storage_Format#Annotations
> > >
> > > It concerns the statement in bullet point 4, sub 3, if you will:
> > >
> > > """
> > >
> > >   * One groupware folder per groupware type MAY be marked as default
> > >
> > > location for new kolab-objects by adding a private annotation with the
> > > value "default".
> > >
> > > """
> > >
> > > By the "the value 'default'" we mean to indicate this is appended to the
> > > $type (i.e. "event.default", "contact.default", ...) or do we mean the
> > > literal string "default"?
> >
> > Hey Jeroen,
> >
> > We mean the ".default" suffix => "event.default".
> >
> > That means the annotations are mutually exclusive, but I couldn't think of
> > a problem with that so far.
>
> The problem is that the .default version of the folder type is supposed to
> be a private annotation, invisible to other users, while other users must
> surely be able to recognize a folder as being of a particular type - this
> means a shared annotation as well.

Right, I didn't think of that (I basically just documented the status-quo).

Ideally we should use a separate annotation.

So we'd have the folder-type annotation which is always shared, and we have a
/vendor/kolab/special-use annotation which can be shared/private with all the
suffixes.

We can then gradually replace the use of /vendor/kolab/special-use with the
Special-Use Extension [0] (starting with cyrus imap 2.5 I think).

[0] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154

If it is too late for such a change, we just allow a shared and private
annotation in parallel (shared with "event" and private "event.default").
The type is not allowed to change anyways, so while there is duplication it's
not a big issue IMO.

Cheers,
Christian