libkolabxml: When setting a start/end/etc. ...

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Mon Jul 16 13:14:11 CEST 2012

On Monday 16 July 2012 11.49:44 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On Saturday, July 14, 2012 03:44:25 PM Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > On Friday 13 July 2012 13.17:11 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > For resource management, I'm starting to implement a certain level of
> > > timezone support - actually quite important.
> >
> > Something for libkolab, maybe?
> >
> > > Is it fair to assume that if no specific timezone is specified, any
> > > datetime is UTC?
> >
> > Depends on the usecase.
> > In cDateTime UTC is indicated by a boolean, and in a string UTC is usually
> > indicated by a "Z" appended
> > (http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Mollekopf/Drafts/KEP:17#Date-Time).
> >
> > Without any timezone identifier, it should be treated as floating-time.
>
> Right - how does one treat a floating-time in scheduling (the Python
> equivalent is a naive datetime) - create a 48 hour margin of error?

Not sure if floating-time is of any use when it comes to scheduling, and as
resources also don't travel through timezones I'd do all the scheduling in
UTC.

I don't know the exact usecase, but assuming it is about a person making a
reservation, you could store reservations with timezone or utc, but floating-
time shouldn't be allowed I think. Otherwise you get constantly changing
reservations, depending on where the person that made the reservation is,
which is a bit difficult to implement ;-)

When doing the f/b calculations I will then convert everything to UTC anyways.

Or where do you have the floating-time from?

Cheers,
Christian