Kolab 3.0: event timezone

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Thu Jul 5 10:01:40 CEST 2012

On Thursday 05 July 2012 09.38:51 Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > I suggest to just take the dtStart timezone, because
> > dtEnd MUST be of the same timezone as dtStart
>
> That rule surprised me pretty much. I though it'd be possible to
> schedule an event (e.g. a flight) with dtstart in local of the departure
> city and end in local time of the destination which might be in another
> timezone.

In fact, when reading the spec again this interpretation was probably not
correct:

" Within the "VEVENT" calendar component, this property
defines the date and time by which the event ends. The value type
of this property MUST be the same as the "DTSTART" property, and
its value MUST be later in time than the value of the "DTSTART"
property. Furthermore, this property MUST be specified as a date
with local time if and only if the "DTSTART" property is also
specified as a date with local time."

Also KOrganizer also allows to set different timezones, and it is, as you
pointed out, an entierly valid usecase, so that should actually possible.
Sorry for mixing things up.

So for activesync that means, that it has to convert all date-times to a
common timezone (e.g. the one of dtstart or utc), and it should ideally
preserve the timezone for cases where e.g. only the text has been edited, but
I suppose that is enough of a cornercase to be ignored for now.

Cheers,
Christian