[Kolab-devel] Closing Call: KEP #9

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Fri Sep 2 09:11:18 CEST 2011

Quoting "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to announce the closing call stage for KEP #9, a design KEP on
> storage of configuration and application control information;
>
>   http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php?title=User:Greve/Drafts/KEP:9&oldid=11706

Concerning:

"Where array serialization or hashing is required because a value
cannot be stored as plain text or contains illegal characters, values
MUST be stored according to RFC 4627[5], the JavaScript Object
Notation (JSON).
No other encoding MUST be used."

Looking at what we currently support in
/kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.annotation_definitions most values comply with
this requirement. There are exceptions though:

1) /vendor/kolab/activesync: base64 encoded JSON serialization
2) /vendor/horde/share-params: base64 encoded PHP serialization

I'm uncertain about what gets stored in "/vendor/tarent/syncpref" and
"/vendor/x-toltec/test". "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" is most
likely unused (though I would have to check when and why it was
exactly added).

The reason for the base64 encoding was that the Kolab patches to the
PHP IMAP extension did and probably does not support UTF-8 (though the
underlying IMAP server does).

How should the upgrade path look like and should this be mentioned in the KEP?

Cheers,

Gunnar