Getting rid of (most) annotations? (Is: Question: Individual annotations vs One large annotation)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Oct 2 18:50:54 CEST 2011

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi Georg,
>
> On Wednesday 28 September 2011 18:23:32 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > There are use cases where XML objects are clearly the better approach,
> > there are also cases where they are vastly inferior.
>
> I yet have to encounter such a situation. Let me split out this discussion,
> because I believe getting rid of (almost) all usage of annotations in the
> Kolab Concept is the future. I'll answer the question about the one large
> annotation, under the condition we keep annotations in a different email.

I'm going to have to disagree with the vision stated above. The use of
annotations will vastly increase, despite SPECIAL-USE, especially since
Dovecot and Cyrus IMAP both natively support annotations, and they are
actively being enhanced to also support message annotations.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG