Why and when storing local time? (Re: Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 21 13:21:15 CET 2011

On Friday 18 March 2011 17.39:48 Florian v. Samson wrote:
> IMHU he proposed UTC + TZ-ID.

Actually Jeroen proposed UTCWND stored as RFC3339 + TZ-ID.

Where UTCWND = UTC With No DST, an artificial time zone that looks like UTC but
ignores DST and maps the world as if DST did not exist.

But because DST exists, it is different to UTC and ultimately moves the
ambiguity to the relationship between UTCWND and UTC.

> Ugh, I was reluctant to propose above due to its complexity, but proposing
> a wild mix of UTC and LocalTime date-times sounds pretty complex and
> error-prone as well.

Here we finally seem to agree on something. Hurrah! :-D

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve