On preserving tags (Re: Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design - Part 1)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 15 15:41:55 CET 2011

Am Dienstag, 15. März 2011 13:59:22 schrieb Florian v. Samson:
> I do not comprehend, why you are so eagerly discussing XML-tag preservation
> in technical detail, after you stated that this shall be solved separately
> (and I did and do agree).  I made clear at least twice, that I merely
> highlighted the general design principle of preserving tags in the
> Kolab-format and that we should definitely maintain that as a principle.

For what its worth:
I do not believe all tags should be preserved, because

Am Donnerstag, 3. März 2011 10:22:11 schrieb Bernhard Reiter in [1]:
> it makes sense from the view of a format developer to preserve only "main"
>    tags and not all subtags. It would be technically and semantically hard.

In addition I believe that those clients are not broken as the old spec
is not precise enough here, also see [1].

[1] http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2011-March/001239.html

It slightly affected the history of the KEP2 debate, but I also believe
it is irrelevent now for it.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.