Pre-KEP Request for Input: Storage of categories & colors

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue Jun 7 16:48:38 CEST 2011

Hi Shawn,

Thanks a lot for sharing how Outlook handles this!

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21.36:25 Shawn Walker wrote:
> There are two parts to how Outlook handle Categories and Colors.  Outlook
> has 21 defined colors that the user can assign to each category.  One of
> the color can be "None" to assign no colors to a category.  The user
> cannot modify the colors.

Do you know whether that list is available anywhere? It might be worth
consideration to have Outlook, Kontact & the web use the same colors by
default.

> Outlook uses a multi-string value to store categories names to support
> multiple categories for a single object.

Are there any limits on the characters allowed in those strings?

> The KEP should defined that the category to allow a multi-value string with
> a HTML Hex color for each category, if there isn't a color for a category,
> then that category will have "no color" assigned to the category.  Since
> Outlook allow multiple category names, I suggest that we allow multiple
> xml metadata.

Sounds reasonable.

One question that I still have in my mind: Where do we store this? Which
object type should carry this kind of information? In which folder?

Any ideas? suggestions?

Best regards,
Georg

--