UPDATE: KEP 2: Modification of datetime: store local time, add 'tz' attribute (revision #10743)

Shawn Walker swalker at bynari.net
Wed Jan 26 18:46:29 CET 2011

I thought I bump this response from Joon.  I have been involved in the development for the connector
for Outlook.  What Joon is saying is true about Outlook to some extent.  We don't do any calculation
regarding to DST/NON-DST that this time is in this or that timezone.  In Outlook recurrence data,
there are two types of times that we must handle on a recurring event since Outlook requires both
UTC and local times to a recurring event that contains exceptions.  An exception to a recurring
event would require us to set some of the times to local time and that may have us set the local
time to regards to DST/NON-DST when we convert a UTC time to local time for that exception.  But
other than that we just set the Outlook TimeZone Information and Outlook handle the rest of how to
display the recurring event.

The recurrence data that we create for Outlook is only used to how to display the recurring event in
Outlook's calendar view.  When a user open a recurring series or occurrence, Outlook will open the
message (a hidden message that is attached for exceptions) to extract the event and those times are
in UTC and local times also, but the start and end is always in UTC in Outlook.  So, again, Outlook
does all of the work of converting a time from UTC to Outlook's timezone (you can configure Outlook
to use a different timezone from what the windows' timezone been configured, but by default it will
set the timezone to windows' timezone).

Regards,
Shawn

Shawn Walker