KEP2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag (wiki revision 10645 of 2010-11-19)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Jan 6 16:43:39 CET 2011

On Tuesday 28 December 2010 12.07:49 Helge Hess wrote:
> Stop reinventing the wheel and adopt RFC 5545. All this has been thought
> through and solved ~15 years ago.

While in many cases that is sane advice, in this particular case we know that
RFC 5545 has issues in just this area that are unresolved, likely as a result
of rampant "committeeitis" where instead of coming to a decision, everyone
managed to create enough wiggle room for their particular approach, resulting
in lack of interoperability and reliability for the user.

The solution we've now reached for Kolab avoids those shortcomings, and also
has the advantage of not requiring to rewrite everything.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve