Recurring events with timezone

Hendrik Helwich h.helwich at tarent.de
Wed Oct 27 15:23:13 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 27 Oktober 2010 11:27:11 schrieb Joon Radley:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Do you just mean:
> >
> >        A recurring event specified as occurring in a particular
> >        timezone other than the one the client is using for display.
>
> No. All events happen at the same time regardless of time zone. It is just
> where you view it from.
>
> Modify the model I have given so that we have an exact model. We need to
> work from concrete models else this will just be and endless debate about
> MVC.
>
> > In iCal on a Mac it is certainly possible to anchor an event to a
> > particular timezone.  Likewise it works fine in Evolution on Linux
> > (whence this interoperation debate springs from), or emClient on
> > Windows.
>
> Please keep in mind that Outlook is a black box for the connector
> developers. We cannot introduce new behavior than that which is already
> provided by MAPI and the GUI.
>
> > For my example above, of the regular telephone conference, the time
> > should always be anchored to the timezone in which the meeting time is
> > defined.  At the moment I am some 17 hours ahead of America/New_York, so
> > 11:00am Tuesday is a rather bleary-eyed 4:00am Wednesday for me but were
> > I to fly to San Francisco over the weekend next week it would be a much
> > more manageable 8:00am Tuesday in the America/Los_Angeles timezone.
>
> You have travelled and your time zone and view has changed. How has UTC
> changed? There is no argument for having time zone information included.

There were some arguments before in this thread. Please read the
discussion ;-)

* UTC -> local conversion is implemented wrong in Kontact/Toltec. If it would
be implemented correct, recurring events would be shown correctly. But only
UTC tz would be supported then due to the kolab format design.

* I assume it is implemented this way to simulate that an event is in a local
time zone and because the format does not support this use case. This shows
that the use case with an attached time zone is wanted. Also other calendar
formats and calendar clients do support this as the default scenario and this
shows it is a common scenario.

Best Regards,

Hendrik