Recurring events with timezone

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Tue Oct 19 10:08:17 CEST 2010

Hi,

> Exactly. This is the main reason. I am very glad that i get support from
> a CalConnect member :-)
> As it is said before in this thread, kolab clients also have a bug when
> people are in different time zones and have recurring events because the
> kolab format does not allow different time zones.

With UTC the locale functionality converts to the local time zone. What other time zones do you need?

> So there are two main reasons to add timezones to the kolab format:
> * increase the interoperability between the kolab event/task format and
> other calendar formats

This was not the aim of the format.

> * fix the kolab format for recurring events/tasks of people who are in
> different time zones

Could you please give an example of the bug that needs to be fixed?

Could you please explain how converting from locale -> UTC -> locale is better than just converting from UTC -> locale?

> Due to our effort to connect evolution to the kolab server, the
> relevance of the kolab format could increase. This could also be seen as
> a great benefit for the kolab format i think.

I welcome all effort to expand the list of Kolab clients. I just do not see how why

> We just want to prevent us doing bad hacks and it will be much more
> complicated to change the code later.

Adding time zones adds far more complexity that is not really needed.

> I have the feeling you do not like to change the kolab format and are
> trying to block the discussion on that issue (even though i see this is
> discussed before on this mailing list).

Change is good if it is needed. In this case I just do not see the need for change. I tried to follow the pervious threads but I just did not see a use cases where time zone is critical for success of the format.

The format is not locale specific. Locale is a client/OS issue.

> I do not want to bother you :-) I just want to be sure that you do have
> good reasons for not wanting to enhance the kolab format and solve the
> existing problems.

No worries. I just do not see that their is a problem that can be fixed by adding time zone information to the format :)

If you can explain in detail what the problems are in the form of simple use cases the group as a whole can evaluate each use case.

Best Regards

Joon Radley

Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557
Fax: +27 (0)86 547 2353