Recurring events with timezone

Hendrik Helwich h.helwich at tarent.de
Mon Oct 11 17:04:50 CEST 2010

Hi Andrew,

Am Montag, 11. Oktober 2010 15:25:43 schrieb Andrew McMillan:
>[..]
> > So the question is: What would be the right way of treating it?
>
> The right way is to leave the decision to the person creating the event,
> allowing them to include a timezone identifying the local time of the
> event.  They might then say that the local time zone is "UTC" if that is
> what they want.  The use of UTC in this way seems to be a more common
> approach for fairly geeky groups, but my own experience suggests that
> teleconferences involving higher level managers generally seem to be
> scheduled in someone's local timezone.

This sounds reasonable. it is also how it is done in evolution (Which uses
iCalendar internally). So our problem would be solved perfectly if the kolab
format could be adapted in this way.

>[..]
> The proposed xcalendar format is based on mapping the iCalendar data
> structure into XML while retaining bidirectional convertability.

Sounds interesting. Is this the related link?:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-royer-calsch-xcal-03

Greets,
Hendrik

--
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH
Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Elmar Geese

Heilsbachstraße 24,  53123 Bonn,   Telefon: +49 228 52675-0
Thiemannstraße 36 a, 12059 Berlin, Telefon: +49 30 5682943-30
Internet: http://www.tarent.de/  • Telefax: +49 228 52675-25