Recurring events with timezone

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Oct 11 12:01:09 CEST 2010

Hi Hendrik,

On Monday 11 October 2010 10.55:58 Hendrik Helwich wrote:
> The problem here is that the difference of the UTC time to the local time
> changes in some timezones (like in germany) due to the daylight saving
> time. So in germany the difference is two hours in the summer and one hour
> in the winter. If you have a recurring event it could cross this border.

This vaguely reminds me of the date field discussions we had about OOXML, where
Microsoft wanted to keep its (known broken) date format.

Storing in a variable base seems fundamentally broken to me, in particular
when you take multiple time zones into account. So when a meeting takes place
in two timezones which switch to daylight saving time at different times, when
is that meeting supposed to be? Which of the local time stores wins?

If it is stored in UTC, at least there is a firm point of reference against
which it can be calculated. But there should be some way to identify what
happens in these DST conflicts. IIRC my discussions with Bernhard that has been
on the list of issues to resolve for the format for some time now.

So the question is: What would be the right way of treating it?

Storage in UTC, as before, with an additional field that defines the behaviour
for DST? I could envision such a field to define that an event (a) stays with
UTC, or that (b) it stays synchronous with local time zone X.

That might be a clean solution. But how would this work with synchronization,
e.g. the ActiveSync protocol? Does anyone know off the top of their head how
this is handled there?

Best regards,
Georg

--