Recurring events with timezone

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Sun Oct 10 21:59:37 CEST 2010

Hi Hendrik,

sorry for the delayed response.

Zitat von Hendrik Helwich <h.helwich at tarent.de>:

> Hi,
>
> i need to convert an iCalendar (from evolution) to the kolab format. It is
> possible to create a recurring event in evolution which has a start and end
> time in a timezone which is different to UTC. I think this is a reasonable
> configuration.
> In the kolab format it is only allowed to store time in UTC format [1].
> Because of the summer and winter time i think it is not possible to convert
> such an iCalendar to the kolab format (the UTC start and end time would
> change over time).
> How can i handle this problem?

I don't see a direct limitation there. The conversion to UTC is
certainly possible and valid while you are doing it to and from one
timezone. I see a problem once you are looking at the same event with
a client in a different timezone.

And to be honest I believe there are still some significant problems
when it comes to timezones on the Kolab server.

But maybe you can detail what the exact problem that you are having
with the conversion is.

I could imagine that you might also be able to solve your specific
problem by adding a custom attribute to the event XML.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Greetings,
>
> Hendrik