KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 23 14:39:52 CET 2010

Zitat von "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:

> Hi Hendrik,
>
> On Monday 22 November 2010 12.08:22 Hendrik Helwich wrote:
>> i understand that this is not wanted, but it should also be possible with
>> that RFC3339 library to store only in the UTC form. This would not be much
>> trouble in coding (if it is not already done like this) and will fit the
>> specification.
>
> Yes. And clients can of course choose to continue to do that.
>

>> If all RFC3339 formats are accepted when reading the kolab
>> xml this is also no problem because the kolab xml parsing should already
>> be not to strict because the specification is interpreted in a loose way
>> by the different clients which write the format.
>
> Exactly. But right now it does not say that clients need to be able to
> understand RFC3339, although they seem to be doing so already.
>
> Which is why it was proposed to make that explicit.
>

>> There are also system functions which read the simple UTC format.
>
> Do we know whether any clients use those?
>
> The clients I am aware of that are actively used are:
>
> 	* Kontact
> 	* Horde
> 	* Z-Push
> 	* Evolution
> 	* Syncphony
> 	* Synckolab
> 	* Toltec
> 	* Konsek
> 	* Bynari Insight
>
> of which some share code (e.g. Z-Push and Horde both use Kolab_Format IIRC).
>
> What do the others use?
>
> If we find out that people already use the RFC3339 capable parsers,
> I think it
> would make sense to agree to the common baseline that most applications use
> for this purpose, which is RFC3339 - because that code is more likely to be
> used by many others, thus likely being more robust than any (now likely
> deprecated) code for other formats.
>
> Questions to all client implementors therefore would be:
>
> 	(a) Do you use your own parser for datetime stamps?
> 		(a1) If so: Why?

Kolab_Format/Horde: Yes.

Because the function was already implemented in that way when I
started working with the old Kolab code in Horde and so far there was
never any need to touch this area.

> 	(b) Does the parser you use support RFC3339 datetime stamps?

Not certain at the moment but I'm not really worried. This should be
pretty straight forward.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--